The Ph.D. programme in Economics of Tuscan universities (Florence, Pisa and Siena) is pleased to announce the call for applications for cycle XXXVIII for the three-year (2022-2024). Deadline for application August 10, 2022, 2 p.m.. This year there are 10 positions available with scholarship:
– 5 free topic scholarships
– 3 scholarships on Public Administration (100% PNRR-funded)
– 1 on Cultural Heritage (100% PNRR-funded)
– 1 on “The value of sustainability in the energy market” (50% funded by ESTRA)
Candidates should present the application for each specific call (in a separate procedure). We suggest applying always to the free topic and adapt, if possible, the research proposal to different calls.
General info on the programme:
The programme takes three years of full-time study and aims at training students for a career as economists in research institutions. In the first year, students are required to take compulsory courses, which provide them with the knowledge and analytical skills needed to conduct highest-level research. Courses are mainly held at the University of Siena, where students are welcome to apply for accommodation facilities. In the second and third years, students can pursue their project at either university depending on their interests. All the students must stay six months visiting abroad (with an increase in the scholarship of 50%).
Info on the specific theme:
The research themes on Public Administration include many areas of research in economics that can lead to an increase in the quality of public administrations and aimed at the integrated development of one or more of the knowledge and skills aimed at:
– strengthening administrative capacity in relation to both the design and the evaluation of public policies, both by developing new tools and diagnostic capacities and by developing the capacity to coordinate a policy cycle in all its steps (from problem definition and solution identification to decision-making, implementation and evaluation) examples of these capacities are typical of economic fields such as regulation, competition policy, labour market policies and more generally micro- e macro- economic policies and their evaluations. Possible themes are the regulation of digital markets, the evaluation of income support for lower income population, the evaluation of minimum wage
– developing capacities useful for defining and enhancing effective management, leadership and communication skills for public organizations; these capacities are for example related to the study of incentives within organizations: mechanism design, personnel economics, behavioural economics. Examples of research themes are the study promotion mechanisms, the pros and cons of punishments versus rewards or the role of nudging in the implementation of public policies
– supporting institutional planning also through the comparative study of innovative governance models between policy sectors and between European, state and sub-state levels of government; as an example, these capacities are related to those fields of economics that study different institutions and governance models and their effectiveness: institutional economics, organizational economics. Examples of research themes are the need for independent regulatory authorities in new fields of the economy, the pros and cons of self regulation of firms versus State regulation and the effectiveness of private enforcement versus public enforcement of antitrust
During the three years, students will undertake an internship in research centres, institutions of the public administrations and private companies, for at least six months, beyond the six months of visiting research abroad.
The research theme on Cultural Heritage includes areas linked to the economics of culture and art, for instance:
– measuring the economic benefit of cultural organizations and events;
– the socioeconomic impacts of culture and territory preservation;
– the ownership and accessibility of cultural heritage;
– the development of management policies for a more balanced distribution of benefits among all stakeholders, to obtain greater social cohesion, greater competitiveness of territories and the preservation and enhancement of cultural heritage.
During the three years the student must undertake an internship of study and research in companies, research centres or public administrations, including museums, institutes of the Ministry of Culture, archives, libraries, for at least six months, beyond the six months of visiting research abroad.
The research theme on The value of sustainability in the energy market includes proposals on:
- Socio-environmental return of renewable investment,
- Renewable energy investments and market design
- Heterogeneous and differentiated impact of the green transition on territories
- Optimal composition of portfolios based on renewable energy sources
- Models of the energy market and applications to short/long-run forecasting
- Consumer’s choice and the energy market
This scholarship is co-founded by the ESTRA S.p.a., an electricity provider. The student will undertake an internship of at least six months at their location, beyond the six months of visiting research abroad.
There are also two positions open to candidate coming from abroad with their own scholaship or with mobility grants.
Documents required for evaluation (to be attached during online application)
- Curriculum vitae et studiorum indicating qualification obtained (by 31 October 2021) with the issuing institution and a list of publications
- Research project (max. 10 pages, in English)
- Letters of reference if any (no more than two) from Italian and international university professors and/or research professionals
- Abstract of the Master degree/specialisation/old degree thesis or equivalent foreign title translated into Italian, English or French (max. 1 page)
- English language certification, if any
Eligibility of foreign degrees (to be translated into Italian, English or French) is ascertained by the selection committee in accordance with relevant regulations and international agreements on the recognition of qualifications for further studies.